What happens if I quit or resign from my job while out on Workers' Compensation.

If you have an accepted Oregon Workers’ Compensation claim, or are waiting for a decision, you may be entitled to temporary total disability benefits, which is a wage replacement benefit. Generally, you must have written authorization from the “attending physician.”

However, if you resign your employment, or if you are terminated from employment, you may lose your right to ongoing temporary total disability. This is because the workers’ compensation rules and statutes will not allow payment of temporary total disability if you are not working for a reason other than the disability from the on-the-job injury.  There is also a rule that requires that you can only receive temporary total disability if you are a "member of the workforce." Of course, there are exceptions, but voluntarily leaving your job may cost you valuable benefits.

If you have a question about temporary total disability, or any other Oregon Workers’ Compensation benefit, give us a call at 503-325-8600.  We help injured workers all the time.

Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Joe Di Bartolomeo is a top rated personal injury lawyer helping Oregon and Washington families