Can I recover travel expenses as part of my claim?

An injured worker with an accepted workers' compensation claim is entitled to reimbursement for travel expenses associated with necessary medical treatment. Generally, the reimbursement rate for travel, effective December 23, 2013 is $.56 per mile. This is down one half cent from the beginning of 2013.

You can also recover expenses for meals if you meet the requirements under the rules. The current reimbursement rates are $11.50 for a breakfast, the same amount for a lunch, and $23.00 for dinner.

If you are required to stay overnight for an examination or treatment, you are entitled to reimbursement for lodging. Generally, the reimbursement rate is $83.00, but in certain parts of the state, that amount is adjusted due to seasonal rates.

If you are not medically able to drive to your appointment, get it in writing from your doctor, and your driver can be reimbursed as well.

Since we are talking about travel, you should also know that if your medical care is going to pull you off work for four hours or more, obtain verification of your missed time from work, and you can submit a request for time loss benefits for the missed time from work.

To avoid any problems, we recommend that you contact the carrier in advance to confirm authorization for lodging, and also keep those receipts for reimbursement of meals. We also recommend that you keep a record of these expenses as you incur them, even though you have several months to submit the request for reimbursement.

We focus our practice on denied workers' compensation claims, but if you have a question about the medical services benefit, or any other issue on your case, call us at 503-325-8600. If we cannot take your case, we can at least .9 the right direction.


Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Top-rated Personal Injury Lawyer Helping Oregon and Washington Families