The Oregon Auto Policy In Oregon: Plan Ahead to Avoid Future Problems

Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Joe Di Bartolomeo is a top rated personal injury lawyer helping Oregon and Washington families

In this article, we discuss the coverage is available within Oregon automobile policy, and make suggestions on the amount of coverage you really need.

Oregon, like every other state, requires motorists to carry insurance coverage. The Oregon insurance regulators also require that insurance companies provide a minimum amount of coverage in an auto policy. Unfortunately, the minimum coverage requirements do not protect many people who are injured in Oregon auto collisions.

Everyone is required to carry a minimum amount of coverage for their liability. In other words, if you are negligent, and cause another person injury, there is a minimum on a coverage you must have to pay that kind of claim. In Oregon, a motorist is only required to carry $25,000.00 for their liability if they cause a collision, and injure another person. This minimum amount of coverage has been the law for decades, but as we all know, the cost of medical care has increased significantly over the same period of time. Certainly, it is important for you to obtain sufficient coverage to protect your personal assets, but more importantly, to make sure that someone suffering a serious injury is able to get adequate compensation.

Oregon motorists also have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage is usually the same amount as your liability coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is insurance against the uninsured and underinsured. If you are injured by somebody who does not have insurance, then your insurance company will jump into the shoes of the insurance company for the uninsured driver, and compensate you for your losses. If you are not able to agree with your insurance company on the amount of compensation you are due, you can file a lawsuit in court, or go to arbitration with your own insurance company. Generally, making an uninsured motorist claim does not affect your coverage premiums. It is important to make sure you have adequate uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage because there are several motorists with inadequate coverage, or no coverage whatsoever.

Personal Injury Protection, also known as PIP is a no-fault insurance coverage that provides medical, disability, child care, and domestic service benefits. As with all insurance claims, there is required documentation. The medical coverage is the most common used in our experience. The minimal coverage in Oregon provides $15,000 of medical insurance for any accident related medical care that is incurred within the first year. An important consideration for the amount of medical coverage is whether you or your family members have access to health care through a private health plan or employer sponsored health plan. Generally, your insurance company will be able to recover what it paid in personal injury protection benefits from the asphalt insurance company, which could affect your overall recovery.

Another part of the personal injury protection coverage is the disability benefit. If you are disabled for 14 consecutive days, and employed at the time you were involved in a collision, then you can make a claim for disability benefits. Generally, the disability benefits are calculated at 70% of your average weekly wage. There are limits on the amount of disability you may be entitled to for any given month, and this coverage is generally limited to 52 weeks of disability.

Personal injury protection coverage not only covers the policy holder, but also any passengers, or anyone using the car with the policyholder's permission.

Oregon auto policies will also offer property damage coverage in several forms. There is "collision" coverage, which will cover property damage, even if you were at fault in causing that property damage. There is also a "comprehensive" coverage that covers other kinds of property damage. Often, if a new car is financed, the lender will require increase coverage to protect its interest in the car.

Another important coverage to consider is "uninsured property damage." This is similar to the bodily injury coverage for injury sustained by an uninsured motorist. If you're car is damaged or destroyed by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, this coverage allows you to get the car fixed, or if necessary, replace the car if it is damaged beyond repair.

We often see people who have in adequate uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, which can limit our ability to obtain adequate compensation for client. If you have questions about your auto coverage, give us a call at 503-325-8600. We answer questions about insurance coverage and insurance coverage disputes every day.