A claims adjuster wants to send me a check and paperwork five days after my car collision. What should I do?

We often get calls from people who ask this very question.  When an adjuster tells you that he or she is going to send some money, usually a few hundred dollars, and some paperwork, you need to be careful.

First, realize that the paperwork is probably a settlement agreement, that if signed, releases the insurance company from any future responsibility for health problems you may have in the future. Many people are not injured in fender benders, and do not have to deal with any long term issues, but you want to make sure  So, if even if you feel fine, just take some time to make sure everything is going okay, and you are able to go back to normal activities before signing a release.

Also, you may have other claims like property damage, or you may have to reimburse your insurance company if it paid medical bills.  If you sign away your claim, you may be stuck with obligations that should have been someone else's responsibility.

We offer a free book (see below) that will help you know where you stand with your auto claim.  Check out our book, or give us a call.  We handle these kinds of issues every day.

Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Top-rated Personal Injury Lawyer Helping Oregon and Washington Families