Do I need to sign releases for the other person’s insurance adjuster?

Whether to sign a medical release depends upon which insurance company to sending you that release.

In Oregon, the personal injury protection carrier will send you a application form, which includes a medical release. Because this is your insurance company, or the insurance company for the car you were riding in, you should provide this information so that your medical bills are paid. In Washington, the vehicle you were driving or riding in may or may not have personal injury protection benefits. If it does, then you should complete these forms so that your medical benefits and disability benefits are paid and processed.

If the insurance company for the responsible driver sends you a medical release, it is generally not a good idea to sign the release. First, this adjuster is on the other side of the legal fence, so to speak, and is not out to protect your interests in the claim. Second, if you ever take the time to read the medical release, you will find that it is very broad, and allows an adjuster to not only obtain prior medical records, but also actually speak with your treating physicians.

There is no real advantage in signing medical release for the careless driver's insurance adjuster. However, if you have signed the release, it’s not the end of the world. When someone retains our office to help them with their claim, we will revoke the releases, and request all medical records obtained with the release.

Questions? Call us at 503-325-8600. We have convenient office locations in Beaverton and Astoria.

Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Top-rated Personal Injury Lawyer Helping Oregon and Washington Families