Can I keep my car if it has been "totaled"?

A car is "totaled" when the cost of repair is so close to the car's value, it does not make sense to fix the car.  There can be many issues with the repair or replacement of your car.

If your car is totaled, than n most cases, the insurance company will allow you to retain ownership of your car if it has been determined to be a total loss. If you elect to hold onto your car, you will have to submit your title to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and will receive a "branded title." This is a title with a stamp indicating that your car has been declared a total loss. This will obviously affect the resale value of your car.

Some people elect to keep their car for many reasons. They may have the ability or the means to fix the car, or may not want to go through the process of financing a vehicle, and incurring additional debt.

We help our injury clients with property damage issues. If you have been injured in a collision, and also have questions about your property damage claim, call us at 503-325-8600. Even if you're just dealing with a property damage issue, we can provide you free information, and put you in touch with attorneys who handle property damage only claims.

Joe Di Bartolomeo
Connect with me
Top-rated Personal Injury Lawyer Helping Oregon and Washington Families